Sunday, August 26, 2012

Suck it up, buttercup.

I honestly do not know my own strength.

This isn't to say it's astounding by any means, but I have gotten through more in the last month or so than I could have ever imagined. And maybe it's not really my strength that I'm learning about, but a reminder of God's strength and power at work in my life.

Things are getting ready to change for me at work.. and I'm nervous. This is usually when I would pick up the phone and call Jess so she could reassure me that everything will be fine. 

"No, Emily. You're not going to screw this up."

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."
Joshua 1:9

I've not been to church in a while.. not because I've lost faith, but because my schedule wasn't the most accommodating. Yes, it's an excuse. And I'm working on it.

The other night, I found my soul in serious need of spiritual help. I started reading Scripture online - yes, on the internet.. twas a bit surreal - but it helped. The words began to fill the emptiness I've felt for what seems like forever now. 

So I've started reading verses to remind myself that I'm not alone and that God has a plan for me. I'm not sure what that is -- or where I'm going to end up. 


"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart."
Jeremiah 29:11-13


If you know me, you know I am a pro at stressing out. Everyone loves to tell me not to worry about things, just go with it. I think my favorite quote on this is probably from Mac.

"Emily, telling you not to worry is like telling an ocean not to crash against the shore."

I want so badly to do what I can and do it well. I try to think about the fact that I've now been in South Bend for a year and a half.. and not only am I producing, but I have been given more responsibility. That has to mean they trust me and that I don't completely suck, right?

This big shift at work has me waking up in the middle of the night - at least once in a cold sweat. I've always said that I'm in a constant state of prayer, whether it be praying my lead story makes the top of my show or that I can avoid sticking my foot in my mouth on a daily basis.

"Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me."
John 14:1

For all my stressing, I know things are looking up. My pain is still there and I have my moments, but there are more good days than bad days. I know my favorite ginger is here, she's got my back. And lucky me, she brought some amazing people into my life right when I needed them.

I know she'll be in that control room with me when the time comes, pushing me to "suck it up, buttercup. Deal with it." And reminding me not to worry, because I'm not going to screw this up.

So I keep going.

I went back to the ballpark today - only to hear "Chelsea Dagger" again. But this time, I sang along with a smile on my face.

1 comment: