Sunday, August 12, 2012

Going back and moving forward.

A trip to the movies is usually pretty simple.

You pick the flick, grab your tickets and refreshments and lose yourself in another world with different problems.

Going to the movies has been one of my favorite things to do for as long as I can remember. It was kind of like playing dress up without the effort - you just have to let your mind wander.

Three weeks ago, I sat in a movie theater.. excited to see the "it" movie of the summer. And I loved it. Couldn't wait to see it again.

Then Aurora happened. And it wasn't just the fear of having it happen all over again, but the pain of losing someone in a place that should have been safe and knowing that a movie theater is the last thing my best friend Jessica saw.

I told myself I would go back to the movies.. eventually. Three weeks later, I found myself walking into a movie theater of my own accord. Sure, I was encouraged to go.. but in the end, it was ultimately my decision.

I knew it would be like ripping the Band-Aid off a fresh wound. And it's definitely fresh. Just when things seemed to be getting easier, I was completely blindsided Saturday at a baseball game. I heard one of the songs I will always associate with Jess - "Chelsea Dagger". I went from excitement to tears in just seconds. Walking into a movie theater couldn't be any better.

Still, I bought my ticket and stepped through the doors of theater 9. Yes, the same theater number Jess was in - an irony not lost on me. My friend Monica was brave enough to go with me, knowing exactly what she might have to deal with.

I could feel the blood drain from my face when I saw the seats. I completely broke down.

Monica promised I would be okay, promised she would take care of me. She even offered to leave.

No. I couldn't do that either. I found myself eyeing the emergency exit, not out of fear.. just pain. That stinging reminder of what should have been safe.

I stayed in theater 9. I flinched when gunshots went off in the production company's intro and immediately looked right at the exit.. trying to convince myself it wasn't happening again. And it wasn't. It was all in my head. I watched "The Campaign", because I knew my first movie had to be something funny.

And I was okay. I got through my first movie - and in doing so, won my first battle with my grief and the gunman. I hope everyone who is going through what I am - loss, grief, anger, heartbreak - I hope all of you find the strength to go back to the movies. Because it's what you love to do.

As I've told myself every day for 23 days now.. I cannot let him win. He's taken enough from me already, I can't let him take more of the things that give me joy.

That's not how Jess would want me to live. 

And that's the point. I have to live. That means getting out of my bubble that I sometimes find myself wanting to create, because it's safe and I can hide and I can hurt without getting hurt. But that's not living.

One of the reasons Jess and I got along so well was because I understood her thirst for life. I'm much more grounded and Type-A, but Jess could talk me into almost anything because I wanted so badly to get out of my shell. 

I'm sure the term "my shell" makes those of you who really know me laugh, seeing as I have a pretty loud personality. But I've felt that part of me grow quiet since Jessi's death. And I have to bring that Emily back out, because that's who Jessi loved. That's who my friends and family love.

And thank God, because I'm still here. Alive. Living.

#ily

No comments:

Post a Comment