Sunday, September 23, 2012

Seeing green, gold, blue, maize and red.

It happened.

Last night, I went to my first game inside Notre Dame Stadium. The same game that would become the last thing Jess and I would ever talk about.

And nearly two months after that conversation, I'm finally feeling some of the peace I've been waiting for.
___________________________________________________
"If you're originally from Texas, how the heck did you get to be a Michigan fan?"

"That's a long story."

If you're reading this, you know most of the story already. Honestly, I liked Michigan before I met Jess. I got a chance to sing in Ann Arbor about five years ago and loved it. I remember being disappointed that I didn't get a chance to go inside the Big House, but I knew I'd be back.

Thanks to one crazy redhead, I've been back. Twice.
_____________________________________________________

It was always the plan - she would come back and stay with me in South Bend so we could go to the game. The day she died, I realized it was just one of the many plans that I would have to carry on myself.

Thankfully, I started twisting my general manager's arm for tickets back in April or May.

He gave me a pair on Monday. Yes, I started crying. To be honest, I'm not sure if he remembered Jessi before he decided to give me the tickets or not. I'm just thankful he decided to let me have them so I could be there to finish something else we started.
_______________________________________________________

I tried to take things slow getting ready for the game so I wouldn't overwhelm myself into an emotional frenzy. I had tickets, a mini of Crown (if you knew Jess, you know this was a must) my Michigan gear and finger mustache tattoos. I thought I was ready.

Then our friend Darrel asked me about getting a tattoo/sticker for my cheek like the ones we had last year.

For some reason, I'd decided to stick mine to a bin in my room. Guess what?

I'm wearing the exact same sticker in both photos, one year (and two stadiums) apart.


(more pictures are on the way, will be in a separate post when I get them)              
           
I had a little more of Jess with me than I thought.
______________________________________________

The friend you see with me in the first photo is my co-worker Heather. I invited her to take the other ticket after our (mine and Jessi's) friend Larry was unable to make it up for the game. Heather's a Notre Dame fan, so she was thrilled to step in and take Larry's place, but she's also gotten me through so much this year. I was happy to have her there.

We stopped by our GM's tailgate before the game and things were going great until "If I Die Young" started blaring through the loudspeakers.

I hadn't heard that song since Jess's memorial. So I bolted.

Of course, Heather found me crying - this just two days after she talked me out of my breakdown at work on the two-month anniversary of Jess's death.

The best part? (Yes, there's a good part) It launched one of the best heart-to-hearts I've ever had in my life - right when I needed it.

Heather was one of the only people I told about Jessica's brush with the Eaton Centre shooting - the day it happened. She met Jess once in passing, but she's heard so many of my stories. Just in talking for the two hours leading up to the game, we realized so many little moments and things that just reminded me that Jess is still here - and her spirit isn't going anywhere.
__________________________________________________

It turned out our tickets were on the edge of the ND student section.. so guess who took a little verbal harassment for my clothing choice? Thankfully, I'm from Texas and I'm used to taking it and dishing it out. No harm, no foul.

I eventually shared my reasons for being a Michigan fan with those around us - some not in detail, just enough to say that I lost a close friend recently who was a huge Wolverine fan.

That got me a thumbs up from Notre Dame students. Seriously.
____________________________________________________

Yes, I watched Michigan lose a tough game to the Irish. Yes, I cheered "Go Blue" and got a few dirty looks and even some "Shut your mouth", but all ended in a smile for one intense northern football rivalry that I've fallen for in the last few years.

I still think Jess had something to do with Everett Golson throwing a pick on his first pass of the game.

But something amazing happened.

I walked out of the stadium feeling more at peace than I have in weeks. Maybe it's because I've stopped stressing about how to get tickets for the game. Or because I was incredibly tired.

I really think Jess is just proud that I was there - that *we* were there.

Just like we'd always planned.

#ily

No comments:

Post a Comment