Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Here goes nothing

If you've read any of my blogs before - you know I have a hard time finishing what I've started. For some strange reason, I've decided to get back on and try again.

And if you've never read anything I've written... allow me to give you fair warning. I'm a 23-year-old overachiever who is as Type-A as they come and I have a knack for saying things that tend to come back and bite me in the... well, you get the picture.

I'm an emotional old soul, meaning I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve and I don't always fit in with my own age group. I usually feel more comfortable around people older than me, mainly because it guarantees a legitimate discussion about something other than grade-school drama.

Five months ago, I decided to make the big move from my beloved home state of Texas to the great state of Indiana. (Great? Well, I wasn't sure what else to call it. And I'm not a Hoosier by any means.. no matter what my driver's license says.) Why? Because it was time for me to break out of my comfort zone yet again and do something ridiculous... like move over a thousand miles from home to a place I've never been where I didn't know a soul. You can't grow if you don't try new things. I love Texas - it's where I was born and God willing, it's where I'll die - but there's got to be more to my own story than just life in the Lone Star State.

It wasn't that long ago that I was asking where Notre Dame was - I knew Indiana, but that was it. Surprise, surprise - the Golden Dome is now a hop, skip and a jump from my desk. I still don't know much about the Fighting Irish, except that their fans are a bit crazy and that their women's basketball team lost to my Aggies in the National Championship. And of course, Rudy.

Now I'm doing my best to navigate the wacky world that is television news and learn as much as I can without going insane. I like to say that my bosses enjoy throwing a wrench into the mix on a regular basis and that my job involves spinning straw into gold, but the truth is that I absolutely love what I do.

Don't get me wrong. There are days that I wonder what the hell I was thinking coming here.. and others that I have no idea what my life would be like if I hadn't seized the opportunity. Sometimes I'm just a twenty-something mess and if you don't like it, don't read. I'm hoping that this blog will actually help me remember some crazy moments on this journey so I can write my best-selling novel about my life a few years down the road. Trust me - this should be fun.

So with that being said.. here goes nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment